Friday, June 29, 2007

Alone - Movie review


Movie poster for this flick. Scared yet? :p

Language: Thai (w/English subtitles - Blurry Chinese and Malay subtitles also included -_-)
Rating : 18-PL
Running time: 1 hour 34 minutes.
GSC website: Here
Sypnosis: (taken from GSC.com.my)

Looking roughly at Pim’s life, she is just another ordinary woman. She moved from Thailand and started a new life in Korea with her caring and loving husband. But one night, a phone call from Thailand changes her life forever. Pim learns that her mother is gravely ill with an unknown disease, and she and her husband Lee rush back to Thailand.

The moment she arrives in Thailand, the flashbacks begin-painful memories, long buried, along with a strange familiar feeling. These things only grow stronger, as she reaches the house where she grew up. She is inundated with a nostalgia that is sweet, but with an undercurrent of terror, a realization that someone is “there,” right beside her, always. And that someone had always been there.

The secret of Pim and her family has slowly been revealed: she was once a Siamese twin! Ten years ago, Pim and her conjoined twin sister underwent as operation to separate them. But her sister died during the attempt. And now, Pim suddenly feels her presence once more, relentlessly.

Will she regain the normal life she once had – her own and hers alone?

My thoughts

(Apparently, this is based off a true story, the twins with the same name Pim and Ploy did get seperated in 1994)

Since this movie is directed by the duo that also directed Shutter (a good Thai horror flick as well, must watch for horror fans), I had some expectations on this movie. After watching it, I can safely say that it is a good watch.

The scare tactics (hey, thats why you came to watch the movie right?) are more of the same old stuff, but even so you'll still feel shocked when you actually WATCH it. (eg. beach scene). I personally found some of the same scare tactics in Shutter reused in this flick (coming from the same directors, this is expected), yet the scare factor is still there. Kudos to the directors for being able to keep the horror feel in each scene. (Lift scene anyone? Woot.)

Marsha Wathanapanitch did a splendid job as the lead in this flick. Her acting definitely was superb, and definitely doesn't look fake. (It got me scared too >_<). One of my fav scenes involving her was (minor spoilers ahead):

Doctor: (takes out art that looks like a butterfly)Tell me what do you see?
Pim (Marsha): Batman
Doctor: ......
Pim : If I said butterfly, you will say I am normal, but if I said anything else, you will say I am insane.

As for the plot....well, I'll be frank. Simply just reading the sypnosis will NOT work....as a matter of fact, the turn of events that will be revealed towards the end are rather shocking. It kinda reminds me of Phoenix Wright in a way...(a VERY horrific way). Even the ending was actually action packed - And that I did not expect.

Overall, the movie was worth a watch. If you are one that are pretty much immune to scare tactics this probably won't change a thing, but nevertheless, the plot was superb, something I don't expect in a horror flick.

Rating by me: 4/5

1 comment:

mr-penman said...

the actress is pretty!